Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
February 15, 2013
Warhawk Baseball - By the innings
The 61st season of Warhawk baseball got off to a great start on Friday afternoon as they played host to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons . Solid pitching from Cale Wine set the tone defensively, while Justin Stawychny pounded out three hits in the 9-0 ULM win.
TOP PERFORMER:- Justin Stawychny - 3-4 at the plate, needing just a triple to complete the cycle while driving in three runs. The three hits set a new career high, while tying his high marks in RBIs, doubles, and home runs.
UPDATED RECORD: 1-0 Overall Sun Belt 0-0
- Wake Forest collected just one hit, but was unable to advance beyond first base. Warhawks took a 3-0 lead after Justin Stawychny connected on a home run to drive in Judd Edwards and Dalton Harrington. The home run was the only ULM hit, as Harrington reached on an error and Edwards was hit by pitch.
- Cale Wine cruses through a 16 pitch, three up - three down inning of work. ULM threatens in the bottom half of the inning with Logan Fiasco reaches on an error and Harrington connected on a single, advancing Fiasco. None were able to be advanced across the plate though.
- Demon Deacons threaten with a pair of runners before a deep fly ball to Chris Dudley ends the threat. Dudley continued to help the Warhawks with a single to left center, driving in Stawychny. Dudley would be worked around on Kodie Tidwell's fielder's choice and then steal home on an attempted pick-off play by Wake Forest. In all the Warhawks would end the inning with three more runs and a 6-0 lead.
Wake Forest's Charlie Morgan tags a double down the right field line, and advances to third on a hard hit ground out to Corbin Green. Wine then settles in for a pair of strikeouts to halt the runner at third. ULM tags the Demon Deacons for another pair of runs on just one hit, a single by Green.
Once again the visitors collected a pair of base runners, but were unable to drive any across the plate. ULM tallied a single from Jeff Fuller and sent him in motion for the season's first stolen base. Nothing went across the plate.
Warhawks collect another run, while the Demon Deacons strand another runner. Stawychny collects a double, adding to his hit total. Alexander drives in Green on a sacrifice to first base.
After throwing 99 pitches, Wine is given the hook by Head Coach Jeff Schexnaider with two outs. Alex Dumaine debuts to pick up right where Wine left off, collecting a strikeout looking. Offensively, ULM is held in check, going three up/down.
Dumaine buzzes his way right through the inning, clearing the way for several debuts. Ryan Bergeron banged out his first career hit, while Josh Faciane and Cody Stone get into the lineup for the first time in a Warhawk uniform. None reached second, clearing the way for the bullpen to close out the victory.
Tyler Bray drew the closer role and stopped the Demon Deacons cold with a pair of strikeouts, including ending the game with a strikeout looking.
EXTRA INNINGS -- ULM improved to 5-2 in season openers under Coach Schexnaider.
- The game was the first meeting between the Warhawks and Wake Forest.
- Attendance for the game, 1,481
ON DECK -- Saturday 6pm, the Warhawks will look to remain unbeaten as they square off against Alcorn State. RHP Shelby Aulds is set to take the hill against a TBD Brave pitcher.