ULM drops opener

LUBBOCK, Texas - Junior guard Fred Brown scored 25 points, including seven three-pointers, but the ULM men's basketball team fell, 86-67, on Friday night (Nov. 12) at Texas Tech. The Warhawks held a three-point lead with just under 13 minutes to play in the contest before the Red Raiders finished the game on a 33-11 run.
Senior forward Lawrence Gilbert added 18 points while junior center Fabio Ribeiro had a game-high 10 rebounds.
Brad Reese led Texas Tech with 15 points as the Red Raiders shot 54.8 percent (34-of-62) from the field.
ULM (0-1) jumped out to an early 5-0 lead, holding Texas Tech scoreless for the first two-and-a-half minutes of the contest. Gilbert opened the game with a layup before a triple from Brown gave the Warhawks the early advantage.
The Red Raiders answered with 10-straight points to take a 10-5 advantage until a Gilbert trifecta with 15:45 to play in the first half trimmed the Texas Tech lead to a pair.
A pair of threes by Brown pushed the Warhawks back in front, 16-12, just over seven minutes into the half.
The lead swung back-and-forth over the next three minutes until back-to-back baskets by Ribeiro and junior guard Hugh Mingo gave ULM a 35-31 advantage. Texas Tech (1-0) responded with a 7-2 run to end the half to take a 38-37 lead into the intermission.
Both teams shot the ball well in the opening 20 minutes; Texas Tech was 55.6 percent from the field (15-of-27) while ULM shot 48.1 percent (13-of-27). The Warhawks made five three-pointers in an opening stanza that saw six ties and 15 lead changes.
Brown led all scorers at the break with 12 points on four triples. Gilbert added 10 for the Warhawks while Mike Singletary led Texas Tech with 10 points.
ULM scored the first five points to begin the second half, taking a four-point lead and forcing an early Texas Tech timeout. Following the timeout, the Warhawks got a defensive stop and Brown buried another triple, forcing another Red Raider timeout.
But Texas Tech responded out of the second timeout, using an 11-4 run to tie the contest, 53-53, with 13:23 to play in the second half.
After another triple from Brown, the Red Raiders went on a 12-0 run to take a 65-56 lead just past the midway point of the second half.
ULM was unable to cut the gap under seven in the final 10 minutes of the game.
The Warhawks will return to action on Tuesday, Nov. 16, as return to the road to face Iowa. Game time against the Hawkeyes is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.