Warhawks over Red Wolves 16-10

In seasons past, a close one possession game would have
seen bad luck rain down on the Warhawks enroute to a loss. This season the only
rain ULM (4-2, 3-0) sees is from Mother Nature, and Tuesday night's Sun Belt
Conference against Arkansas State (1-4, 0-2) was a prime example.
Malone Stadium was living up to the "ESPN2 on the Bayou"
hype that surrounded the nationally televised game, as the stadium saw nearly
two inches of rain in the time leading up to the game. Despite the wet
conditions, 14,378 cheered the Warhawks on to a 16-10 victory.
The wet conditions did cause a few problems as the Warhawks
had four fumbles, including a snap over
Revell's head for a 22 yard loss in the first half.
Despite the miscues, ULM's offense was clicking on all
cylinders in the first half, as they scored all 16 points in the half and
tallied 188 yards of offense. This was opposite what the Red Wolves
accomplished, as all of their points came in the second half on 170 yards of
offense, including 142 passing yards by senior QB Corey Leonard.
Revell connected with
LaGregory Sapp for a 48 yard TD on the opening drive to give the Warhawks an
early 7-0 lead on the two play, 55 yard, 56 second drive. The play was the
second longest of the season, trailing the 75 yard pass to Luther Ambrose in the
season opener at Texas.
Aaron Williams collected his first fumble recovery in his career, when
Leonard fumbled; giving ULM the ball at the ASU nine yard line. The offense
stalled, but managed to tack on a 20-yard
Radi Jabour field goal.
The Warhawk defense hinted at the strong night they would
have to end the game in the first half.
In the first quarter of play, ULM's defense held Arkansas
State to - 9 yards of total offense. It was the first time since 2003 that an
opponent had been held to a negative amount of yards. In that contest, ULM held
Stephen F. Austin to -2 yards.
Josh Thomas got his second career sack in the second quarter, holding the
Red wolves to their fourth straight three and out possession in the first half,
but it was sophomore
Troy Evans that made the biggest plays. With time winding down, and the
Red Wolves driving into Warhawk territory, Evans sacked Leonard twice to setup a
suspenseful fourth down with 16 seconds remaining.
In the final attempt to secure the come from behind upset,
Leonard floated a pass into the north endzone, only to have sophomore corner
Darius Prelow bat the ball down, allowing ULM's offense to run the clock to
zero with the victory formation.
Next up for ULM will be their final non-conference contest,
as they travel to Lexington, Ky. for an October 24th FSN televised
contest. Kickoff for the game is slated for 6pm.